In Ethiopia, about 4 tablespoons of Ber-beri, Ethiopian red pepper, is used in each recipe. It is extremely hot. In our adaptation, we use cayenne pepper and paprika (which is not Ethiopian) to bring it to the characteristic dark color and flavor. Even cayenne pepper should be used sparingly.
- 3 cups Bermuda Onion chopped finely
- 13-lb. Chicken
- 8 Peeled Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 3 oz. butter or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cayyene pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or heavy stewpot:
- Brown 3 cups Bermuda Onion chopped finely, without fat, until quite dark, stirring constantly.
- Add 3 oz. butter or olive oil, 1/2 tsp. cayyene pepper, 1 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. black pepper and 1/4 tsp. ginger
- Blend the seasonings into the onions.
- Add 1 cup water
- Soak 13-lb CHICKEN cut in 1-inch pieces, bones left on and including neck and gizzards, in
- 2 cups WATER to which 1/4 cup LEMON JUICE has been added, for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from each piece of chicken.
- Add chicken to onion mixture, stirring it through then cover.
- Simmer over low heat until chicken is tender.
Amlak Bantikassegn is in the Class of 2012, studying Biology.